I am Aaron Crane.
This is my website:
- It uses custom software
- with no web admin interface
- and all the code and content stored in Git;
- it was coded in Perl
- in a matter of days
- using a selection of modules from the CPAN.
- It’s my personal website, so I get to write about anything that interests me.
This is me:
- I was born in 1976, and brought up in Manchester.
- I went to university in London, studying linguistics at SOAS.
- I spent about a year in Colorado with a company researching the application of phonological theory to automatic speech recognition.
- I did an MSc in Computer Science at Edinburgh university.
- I moved to Leeds and spent a few years working as a trainer and programmer for GBdirect Ltd.
- After I became Technical Overlord for The Register I moved back to Edinburgh, the place I want to live the rest of my life.
- I’m now working full-time on Cutbot, doing media monitoring for the internet age
- Languages are fun.
- I can’t believe it took me so long to get round to buying a new guitar, but I’m delighted with my Freshman.
- I enjoy programming; I would (and do) write software without being paid for it. I’m particularly interested in programming language and API design, and the practice of writing readable, elegant, maintainable code.
This is copyrighted:
- This website is Copyright © Aaron Crane. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence; some rights are reserved.
That’s about it for here. I welcome comments about this site; if you’d like
to get in touch, for that reason or any other, I’m
uk (with words turned into punctuation in the obvious way).
Or feel free turn up to a conference I’m attending and chat.